Monday, October 11, 2010

First Day of School

T.O. Mon Oct 11, 4:12am / AUS Mon Oct 11, 6:12pm

I had a great first day at Prac. My mentor teacher is easy going, so nice and very supportive. The class is wonderful and respectful. I didn't do anything but watch today and I'm completely exhausted. I don't know how teachers do it. The energy level of my mentor teacher is unbelieavable, he'd be down on his knees, throwing white board markers around, running from one end of the class to the next. I'm not sure I can match his style but he does a great job at engaging the students and brining real life relevance into their lessons.
I'm starting off slowly. Tomorrow I'm running the first morning session, taking roll call and making sure they did their reading homework and then they're testing me on if I know their names yet. It's a challenge we agreed upon and I've already got them (as long as they're sitting in their assigned seats!).
Each Monday I attend a staff meeting as though I'm a teacher at the school (I went today and had no idea as to what anyone was talking about - really just seemed like gossip from around the school) and each Wed I'll work with my mentor teacher and the other year 5 teacher to come up with next weeks schedule and lessons. Next Monday I'll attend school while the students have a p.a. day and do whatever teachers do on days they're at school without a classroom.
I feel fortunate I don't have anything I have to formally plan for tomorrow, as I said, I'm so exhausted and I have to make a lunch for tomorrow and vacuum my floor. Hopefully with a better night sleep tonight and less stress about what tomorrow will bring I won't be so sleepy by the time I get home tomorrow night, but we'll see!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment